Are you putting together an event? Have you thought about how you are going to support the event via social media to expand the brand reach and include people not physically at the event.
Principles for modern eventsevents
■ Holistic Event Strategy: Event strategy involves having a pre, post and during the event plans. These strategies should dovetail into a complete strategy that delivers on brand and business objectives.
■ Community Engagement: Event activations should integrate with existing brand communities and on-line communities who are not physically involved in the actual event.
Pre-Event: preparation for the event
■ Hashtags/Platforms/ Channels
◆Plan your hastings, platforms and media channels to focus on.
◆Decide on the media and content that needs to be produced in preparation for the event like video promos, on-line banners, tweets, updates and competitions.
■Create groups and tap into communities.
◆Rope in your communities to share and communicate the event and activities.
◆Tap into existing communities whether they are social media communities, your email list or sms lists or your existing customer base. Plan content for each segment and drive them to one medium.
◆Include social media in all pre event marketing support, add social media handles etc.
◆Crowd source communications solutions and marketing ideas to expand engagement with fans and customers.
◆Create an App –unveil sections of the App as the event approaches e.g unveil confirmed artists and activities etc
During the Event
■Use event App to communicate activities, maps, speaker/sponsor/artist profiles and event programmes.
Create QR codes that help attendants to check in/Tweet location/post on via the mobile App.
■Display screens to show engagement- live stream Tweets, comments, sms etc
■Display the Hashtags and remind the attendees about social media engagements.
■Charger stations are standard at any event in the smartphone era. NB NB
After the Event
■Follow up with the people who engaged in the conversations and shared their thoughts.
■Package the content from Video, pictures, winners of competitions and package most important moments of the events.
■Develop a an influencer program to drive ongoing engagement between events.
Checklist for Turbo Charging your event
13 Things to check:
1. Update your RSVP to request Twitter/ Facebook /LinkedIn/ Instagram whatever is relevant. Contact details. Csv files
2. Check venue We-Fi or 3g access. Test equipment on site. Calculate costs of providing WiFI for attendees.
3. Plan #tag and handle content & engage.
4. Identify influencers in the topic & engage like media representatives. Invite them to the event
5. Charger points must be available.
6. Capture every moment from “the making”, cut aways( voxes & key people) & final event product.
7. Involve your social media team early.
8. Employ multiple production team that can edit on site & upload content.
9. On table, in gift bag + display #tag + tweet info.
10. Share the # early. You really want folks to start Tweeting an hour or so before the event starts.
11. Follow-up with influencers to ensure they had a great time.
12. Assess the impact of your program. How many tweets were sent? How many RT did these get?
13. Use your analytics to improve the next event you have.
By Lebo Mukansi
Chief Strategist: Inventors Kitchen